Becky McCray and Deb Brown kick off a new series as part of A Positive View of Rural. Each week we’ll bring you five news stories or articles you can use in your small town business or revitalization projects. We’ll add our comments and ideas, and always share the links.
Deb will be cross-posting the video version at needalittleadvice.com. You can catch us recording them live on Sundays at 3pm Central time on Blab.im; Deb will tweet the links from @DebWorks
Our first five stories include entrepreneurship, small business advice, community building and even a business idea for you:
- The State of Entrepreneurship in 2016: U.S. is on the Verge of an Entrepreneurial Boom http://buff.ly/1QnB4zp Kauffman Foundation puts the focus on clearing the way for small scale experiments.
- Small Businesses Do Well to Collaborate http://buff.ly/1RJketT The secret weapon of successful small town businesses: working together.
- Tyler, Texas, parking enforcement will now also “recommend restaurants, give change and talk about downtown events.” http://buff.ly/1SQukKV Parking always a hot topic in small towns, reminding people who work in stores to leave the good spots for customers and changing the way we look at enforcement.
- Doing online community engagement? Here are 5 offline ways to complement it http://buff.ly/1Wuxh1y For every online tool to draw people in, there’s an in-person equivalent. And vice versa. You need both.
- Grain bin cabins! Great alternative to hotels for small towns http://buff.ly/1SRkFnx Written by Katy @bgmercantile at my request when I saw her tweet a photo.