Becky McCray and Deb Brown continue our new series of news and commentaries as part of A Positive View of Rural. Each week, we get together by online video to bring you five news stories or articles you can use in your small town business or revitalization projects. We add our comments and ideas, and always share the links.
I post the audio version here. You can hear it with the audio player above or by clicking this audio link. Deb cross-posts the video version at needalittleadvice.com. You can catch us recording them live, usually on Sundays at 3pm Central on Blab.im; Deb shares the links in advance from @DebWorks on Twitter.
Deb picked this week’s stories, so I bring them to you along with her commentary:
- Oh boy – this is just a fun idea that worked in Canada – Mini newspaper in Nanton
- I saw this and thought it was a great sign, funny – and got the attention of drivers. Little did I know it would draw attention to St. Ansgar in Northern Iowa. You can bet there will be more deer hunters this fall! Great opportunity for the businesses. Small Iowa town puts up a suicidal deer sign and people are not amused
- Opportunities sometimes come out of personal problems Growth in ecotourism helps local realise dream to open homestay
- Short story on population trends with good links to related stories Small towns are not dying in Minnesota!
- Let’s hear it for George-Anne local paper and word of mouth How a local cafe is building community and helping build better lives
Our next webinar on Rural Jobs Creation Strategies will be April 20, 2016, at 6pm Central time. We allow you not only to watch the live event, but also to invite friends, and to hold replays in your town, as long as you’re present. You have two weeks to make the most of your replay. You’ll find details at http://saveyour.town/webinar