The drawback to Yeti Blue USB Microphones for podcasting
Yeti Blue microphones are widely popular for podcasting and home sound recording. They do have a big drawback of being overly sensitive. They pick up too much background noise even when the gain is turned way down. I know because I bought one for my own podcasting and video streaming and had a hard time getting good sound with it.
The Wrong Advice
Most of the advice I found online says to turn the gain knob on the Yeti down to the absolute minimum. That avoids picking up too much background sound, but then the audio is really quiet and almost unusable. The wrong advice says to amplify that sound at the computer or in your software.
The resulting sound I got using this advice was what I would describe as hollow.
The Contrarian Advice that Works Better
A few contrarians online say to turn the gain knob higher and turn down input level at the computer or software. That worked for me. The sound was much richer, and without picking up all the background noise.
Here are the exact steps I followed
- I plugged my best set of headphones directly into the Yeti so I could monitor the sound while I made adjustments.
- I turned the gain knob on the back of the Yeti all the way up. I could hear EVERYTHING.
- I opened the Windows Sound Settings by typing “sound settings” into the Windows search box.
- In the Sound Settings, I scrolled down to the Input devices.
- I made sure the Yeti mic was selected, then clicked Device Properties.
- I adjusted the volume down to around 50.
I adjusted the two settings a little bit each way, until my voice sounded the best I could get and I couldn’t hear my wall clock ticking.
I ended up with the Yeti gain knob down about a quarter of the way and the Windows volume set at 75.
You don’t have to do it every time
I made these changes one time in Sound Settings, and now Windows seems to remember for me. Whenever I hook or plug in my Yeti, it’s ready to go. I don’t have to do anything extra.
If you’re interested in small town small business, feel free to check out some of our best stuff:
- What businesses would work in a small town? Filling empty buildings
- How to set retail prices and markups
- The 7 Most Common Weaknesses of Local Shops And what we’re all going to do about them
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021