The one consistent force facing all small business owners is that of change.
As we prepare to enter a new year, it is not uncommon to take some time and think about things you would like to accomplish in 2019. The resolutions we lay out include those for our personal life but often those for our business. Making such resolutions is a great step except:
- they are often forgotten about, or;
- there is little follow-through, especially long term.
Business owners have a third item they face – the world is constantly changing. Change isn’t something that can be planned just once a year; it is constant. As an owner, you need to have a method of information gathering that keeps you current on new ideas and trends affecting you and your business, industry, and the economy in general.
This overview must be inclusive including local, national and worldwide. Being a regular reader of Small Biz Survival is a great start but not enough. Find and build a package of key sources of information. Make scanning and reading them a regular part of your day, week and month.
And don’t forget listening. Be an active member in business and social networks, clubs and groups. There is so much information you can’t fully keep up. This is where your group can help not only fill in the gaps but they can help you prioritize what is more important for you to watch.
Change is here and change will remain. It’s a constant and the survival of your business depends on being aware of what’s coming and then reacting as needed. Good luck.
Closing comment – This idea of change also brings me to a change I am making. This will be my last regular blog for Small Biz Survival. I have retired and am moving on into other endeavors (volunteer, being a grandfather, camping, travel, etc.). I appreciate Becky allowing me to be a part this work. Perhaps she will let me pop back in now and then as new thoughts and trends hit my radar screen.
- Change - December 26, 2018
- Regular Customers Form Your Base - December 12, 2018
- Disasters: Is Your Small Business Ready? - December 5, 2018
- Business Startup: Steps to Remember - November 28, 2018
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM SMALL BIZ SURVIVAL - November 21, 2018
- Finding a Business Idea - November 14, 2018
- Does Your Networking Have Punch? - November 7, 2018
- Build Tomorrow’s Community Business Sector - October 24, 2018
- Are You Changing? - October 17, 2018
- Is it really a deal? - October 10, 2018
Austin Storm says
I’ve enjoyed your posts – best of luck on your future endeavors!