Small towns are so different, there is no one business will work in every small town. But there’s one business idea that almost every single small town I’ve visited needs: small spaces.
Every rural town could use smaller spaces for locals to start tiny retail businesses. Not everyone can afford to rent an entire downtown storefront, remodel it, bring it up to code, then start their retail business. But almost anyone could afford to fill a few hundred square feet, or even a few square feet.
The Village in Washington, Iowa, is a business that is a divided space. An old department store was divided up into little pretend storefronts inside, each only a few hundred square feet. Then in the interior courtyard, push carts offer a few dozen square feet for even smaller retail businesses. Even little tables are available, only a few square feet. It’s been a successful idea for 10 years now. As of 2018, they have six retailers sharing the space.
A local highschooler making her own hair accessories can easily manage to create enough product to fill only one table. A winery located out in the rural part of the county can use a tiny store front as a branch office. Anyone can get started and use the experience to learn and grow.
If you’re looking for one business idea that works in small towns, look at creating tiny spaces for other people to create their own businesses.
More ideas for growing your own entrepreneurs
Deb Brown and I share more ideas like this in our latest video at SaveYour.Town, Grow Your Own Entrepreneurs. The video is available on-demand starting Friday, November 9, 2018, and it is only available for two weeks. Your questions, stories and examples from your own town are welcome, too.
- Don’t bother to mention the benefits unless you tie them to this - November 12, 2018
- What business does every small town need? A store full of tiny retail spaces - November 5, 2018
- How any business can be part of downtown events by going mobile - October 29, 2018
- Support local entrepreneurship by giving Rising Stars business awards - October 22, 2018
- Why do people say there’s nothing to do here then not come to our concerts? - October 15, 2018
- Need more volunteers? Give everyone a tiny role - October 8, 2018
- Retailers: Fill all empty space, floor to ceiling - October 1, 2018
- Shipping container businesses downtown: don’t make this big mistake - September 24, 2018
- Easy economic development tip: Write down all new businesses in your small town - September 17, 2018
- Commerce builds communties - September 10, 2018