This is an easy idea for small town economic developers, chambers of commerce, banks and all the people who care about their small towns.
It’s pretty common to hear people say something like, “There’s no new businesses in our town!”
That’s because they aren’t remembering all the new business activity or they maybe aren’t paying attention. Or maybe they’re only thinking of big new employers, the kind that come with visiting dignitaries for the announcement.
Most small towns don’t have many of those big announcement type employers, but I’m betting you have a lot more small business activity than folks realize.
My colleague Deb Brown has a great answer. When she started working at the chamber of commerce, she started a list of every new business that opened. She’s no longer at the chamber, but she still keeps that list.
Just answered a question from a local in town – what new businesses have come to town since 2014. I keep a list for when people tell me new businesses are not coming. Are you tracking the new businesses in your town? I think you’d be surprised how many there are!
Some of the new businesses are hard to see because they’re based in someone’s home or they are a traveling business. Add those to the list, too.
Look for businesses inside another business. Sometimes these open without anyone noticing them. Pay attention to local craft businesses that may only have a few items on sale inside a local store. Those are still businesses.
What are the last 5 businesses, including tiny businesses, to open in your town? Share in the comments!
- The secret to effective follow up: What NOT to say - April 15, 2019
- How church buildings can do more for the community - April 8, 2019
- Ideas to fill empty display windows - April 2, 2019
- Know your customers: What do they want to be good at? - March 25, 2019
- 99% of the best things you can do for your town don’t require anyone’s permission - March 4, 2019
- Want more public attendance at your events? Make sure your signs include this specific phrase - February 18, 2019
- Know your customer: Who’s asking them questions? - February 11, 2019
- How restaurants can market each other in small towns - February 4, 2019
- SEO for voice search is different for rural small business - January 28, 2019
- What businesses would work in a small town with empty land - January 21, 2019