This is an easy idea for small town economic developers, chambers of commerce, banks and all the people who care about their small towns.
It’s pretty common to hear people say something like, “There’s no new businesses in our town!”
That’s because they aren’t remembering all the new business activity or they maybe aren’t paying attention. Or maybe they’re only thinking of big new employers, the kind that come with visiting dignitaries for the announcement.
Most small towns don’t have many of those big announcement type employers, but I’m betting you have a lot more small business activity than folks realize.
My colleague Deb Brown has a great answer. When she started working at the chamber of commerce, she started a list of every new business that opened. She’s no longer at the chamber, but she still keeps that list.
Just answered a question from a local in town – what new businesses have come to town since 2014. I keep a list for when people tell me new businesses are not coming. Are you tracking the new businesses in your town? I think you’d be surprised how many there are!
Some of the new businesses are hard to see because they’re based in someone’s home or they are a traveling business. Add those to the list, too.
Look for businesses inside another business. Sometimes these open without anyone noticing them. Pay attention to local craft businesses that may only have a few items on sale inside a local store. Those are still businesses.
What are the last 5 businesses, including tiny businesses, to open in your town? Share in the comments!
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020