Live streaming video provides you new ways to reach customers and promote your small business. Today’s tools include Facebook Live, Instagram and Snapchat Live Stories, Google Hangouts that stream live on YouTube, Periscope video that streams on Twitter, and even stolid old LinkedIn that will let you pipe in live video from your Facebook Live feed.
These tools are always changing, so I know that list will be outdated soon. You know what won’t change? The way you use live video to reach people. Here are some tips and ways you can use live video to promote your small business in your small town.
Live video streaming tips
Live video is best for immediate events. What is happening right now? That makes live video a natural match for live events, special sales, happenings, visiting experts or special showings. Make it seem like such a good time that people want to take a break from whatever they were doing so they can rush down to join you. You’re in a small town, so use that sense of connection.
Live video is informal. Don’t worry about a script, but do have an idea of what you want to say. You don’t have to be polished and professional. Just give yourself a moment or two to think through your key points before you start shooting live. Then be your best small town self: friendly.
Live video takes a little time to draw a crowd. Give your audience some time to gather up. Don’t make latecomers feel like they missed all the good stuff. Feature the good stuff throughout, and make sure to repeat your key points more than once.
What should you show on live video?
Feature your local area:
- Livestream local events
- Show off area attractions
- Show what there is to do in this town
- Show us the causes you support and how they make a difference
Show your products:
- Livestream your products working in the real world
- Show how to maintain them, reload them or keep them going
Show your customers:
- Profile your customers
- Show how you solve problems for customers
- Say thank you to a customer, live on video
Show your people:
- Introduce people who work for you
- Livestream your people helping customers
- Tell your founding story
- Talk about future plans
- Share your vision and passion
Feature your manufacturing or production:
- Livestream the production process
- Show how high your quality is
- Demonstrate your safety
Show your suppliers:
- Livestream from your suppliers, all the way back to the farm field or the raw materials
- Show how your suppliers make a difference in the community
Feature your knowledge:
- Teach us something
- Show us insider tricks
- Show us traps to avoid
- Livestream quick interviews of your visiting experts
- Livestream tidbits from conferences and events
Do you have a live video success story to share? Or a question? Let’s hear it!
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020