“We just don’t have as many businesses as we used to.” It’s one of those rural myths that I hear variations of all the time.
- “Our downtown is all boarded up. All the businesses are gone.”
- “Census numbers show fewer employers.”
- “We did a business count, and the number of businesses is way down.”
But it’s a myth. See, we have new kinds of businesses, ones that don’t get counted at all. They’re not in downtown storefronts or listed in business counts.
What are these mysterious new businesses?
- They include kinds of business we’ve always had but not counted, like people running a side business.
- They also include businesses that haven’t really been much of a factor, like independent professionals.
- They include new styles of doing business like the Innovative Rural Business Models.
If you’re still looking for businesses in traditional ways, you’re going to find the remaining traditional businesses. You’ll have to look in new ways if you want to find the new businesses.
- You’ll have to look for multiple businesses operating Together in a shared space, and other Business Inside a Business examples.
- You’ll have to look for Tiny businesses, frequently squeezed into a small nontraditional space.
- You’ll have to look for Temporary businesses operating in booths at events, popping up in empty store fronts or only existing seasonally.
- You’ll have to look for Traveling businesses that move around, maybe operating out of a truck or trailer.
You’ll have to look for people doing business outside the traditional obvious frames.
The nature of business is changing. We won’t keep up with it by thinking in the same old patterns.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022