In a recent conference call by the Orton Family Foundation, one of the listeners asked a great practical question:
What are 3 actions most effective at starting a local company? —Jay B., KS
My answer was:
Try 3 small scale tests.
That’s how you’ll build knowledge of what works, build an initial following in the market, and build assets toward your next, bigger step.
What can you do to test a business idea?
- Try something temporary: pop-up for a day, a week or a season
- Try something tiny: look for just a few hundred square feet to set up in
- Try something together: set up your business inside an existing business, coworking space, maker space, shared art studio, or shared commercial kitchen
- Try a truck or trailer: use more than one town to gather enough customers
Those are four of the Innovative Rural Business Models. They are the best way to build up to bigger future business successes. (Watch for a more in-depth article on this updated version of the Innovative Rural Business Models, coming soon.)
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022