I spent a couple of days last month touring Lake Arrowhead, California, meeting merchants and retailers, talking to residents, and holding a work session with the board of the Village Merchants Association. They have a ton of natural assets, great ideas, but have trouble getting the merchants to come together toward common goals. They’ve struggled to build a sense of community.
Many of you have the same challenge: getting local business owners to work together.
We talked about a couple of basic things, like making a current list of the store owners and managers so they can stay in touch. But the idea that really got them excited was a block party for the merchants. They just lit up! They knew just the right spot in the center of the village, and ideas started flying.
Building community among your business owners is just as important as building community at large.
It’s hard to get people to attend regular meetings when they don’t feel connected, especially when meetings have felt boring or pointless in the past.
But it’s easier to get people to come to a party!
It doesn’t have to be a block party. It can be other simple things:
- Jam sessions for similar businesses (one for food and drink, one for retail…)
- Private Facebook groups
- Sharing supplies or resources
Get together with a few local business folks and see what you come up with. Use all your skills in building community like you would with any other group.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020