What is being in business all about?
I got my first answer from Paul Hawken, in his book Growing a Business. He said he kept working for the time when he’d get his business running like it should, and there wouldn’t be any problems. He wanted that magic state with the business running smoothly without problems. Then he realized, business will always have problems. Being in business is about solving problems.
That’s a good description, and it helped me appreciate the problems and opportunities that come with running a business. But with many years of experience, I’ve decided being in business is closer to what Olympic gold medalist and whitewater kayaker Joe Jacobi described as transition.
“You’re Always in Transition: Let go of the belief that the momentum will stop. It doesn’t. Just as on a river, life’s current takes on all shapes, sizes, speeds, and gradients. It always keeps moving, which means you are continually in transition.”
Being in business means always being in transition.
Like a paddler on a river, you are constantly moving and adapting. You can’t sit still, and you can’t expect everything to go smoothly forever. Right now, your business is in transition from one stage to another. How are you preparing for the next stage?
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022