I operate with a set of assumptions about rural places and small towns. I want to share them with you so you’ll know what I’m assuming whenever I talk with you. (Yes, I know what happens when you assume. Call them basic beliefs instead of assumptions, if you prefer.)
When I tell you that I help you shape a better future for your small town, that includes the assumptions that small towns in general have a future, that your town in particular is worth shaping and that what you do will make a difference.
When I say we’ll do it no matter what the pessimists say or do, I’m assuming that you have pessimists, that you have at least a few optimists, too, and that you are strong enough to stand up again when those pessimists try to knock you down once more.
When I say that I’ll deliver practical steps you can put into action right away toward that brighter future, I’m building on my belief that you want to take action and that the advice to you can be practical, do-able and realistic.
Our underlying assumptions shape our world view and all of our actions. If you believe all small towns are dying because you’ve heard it said all your life, then you’ll act like small towns have no future, like our actions don’t matter in the end. If you believe that the pessimists have power over you, you’ll squelch your own best ideas rather than bring them up and face potential ridicule.
The good news is that your underlying beliefs can change. You can shift based on the new information you learn about the world and your small town. Spoiler alert: the pessimists can shift their mindset, too. It just takes a long time and a lot of love.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020