If you live in the US, I’ll bet you have a Jiffy Mix in your kitchen cabinet right now. I have three. I counted. Even if you don’t, surely you recognize the iconic blue boxes with their simple branding, even though Chelsea Milling Company doesn’t spend a dime to advertise them.
Chelsea, Michigan, is a city under 5,000 people. In 1901, locals started a traditional milling company, the kind of flour mill every small town used to have. Today, Chelsea Milling is still locally owned, still thriving and still producing dozens of kinds of mixes that are found on store shelves and in commercial kitchens all over the country, generating revenues of $100 million per year.
Chelsea Milling Company takes pride in paying decent wages, supporting their community, and caring about everything they do. Just like you’d expect a good small town company to do. They routinely get press attention for these “outdated” values that are suddenly back in fashion in business today. Read “7 Reasons This Muffin Mix Can Save America” as an example. (It’s really good.)
And make some Jiffy corn muffins. They’re really good, too.
This article is part of our new series, Small Town, Big Company, where we profile companies that have started and stayed in small towns even while they’ve grown far beyond their local market. If you know a company we should include, hit reply or mention it in the comments below.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020