Take this simple quiz.
When I think of last year’s tax return time, I’d say it was:
- A breeze. I just printed out one or two reports and answered a few questions from my tax preparer.
- A bit of a mess. I had to do some work to catch up and then answer a lot of questions.
- A nightmare. I worked like a dog to get things sorted before I could even think about filing, months late.
If you’re in category 1, you win. You can stop reading here. Have a great day!
If you’re in category 2, now’s the time to make sure you’re up to date through July 1. Schedule the time one day a week to catch up. Invest in a consultation with a pro to see how you can better keep up during the year. Look into delegating part of the work to a pro who will handle it for you and keep you always up to date.
If you’re in category 3, let’s fix it now. Here’s the plan:
Go sign up for WaveApps.com. That’s my personal choice especially for Category 3 people who don’t want a nightmare again next year. There’s no monthly fee for accounting and invoicing. I use Wave myself, and I recommend them. I don’t get any payment for saying so.
Wave will connect with your bank accounts and credit cards to automatically bring in your transactions. If your bank doesn’t play nice (like my rural banks), then you can export your transactions and quickly import them into Wave. Then rather than typing out transactions by hand, you just click and sort your transactions into proper categories.
Wave has pros to help you. When you’re logged into your account, look for “Pro Services” on the left hand sidebar. Pay the money for help from a pro and get organized and caught up. Delegate as much as possible to a pro so that you don’t get weighed down with it during the rest of the year. It’s worth it to keep next tax time from being yet another nightmare.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021