My online friend Rick Wolff asked about folks who educate artists on marketing their work. He drew lots and lots of responses.
I think artists are important businesses in small towns. We have plenty of creative and interesting people who paint, sculpt, make pottery, do all kinds of traditional arts, and that’s not counting our crafts people and performing artists. So yes, arts can be a traded business just as much as manufacturing.
The first resource I’ll recommend is HandMade in America. They are focused on rural craftspeople, so you know their advice is free of urban bias.
I’ve also had a chance to look at the materials from ArtistINC, based in Kansas City. I found their business stuff to be solid and looked useful, but they mostly offer in-person workshops.
To help your rural artists market themselves, I’m passing along the resources that Rick’s friends mentioned. I’m not an artist myself, so I won’t presume to evaluate these. Find the one that feels like a good match for your creative soul.
Websites and online resources:
- Cory Huff of The Abundant Artist
- Fine Art Views
- Fabeku Fatunmise
- Art Licensing Info with Tara Reed
- Bhavani Esapathi
- Laura C. George
- Mark McGuinness, Lateral Action
- Entrepreneur the Arts
- Artists Guild of America
- Leanne Regalla at Make Creativity Pay
- Eric Rhoads
- Kelly Pratt
- “How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist” by Caroll Michels. It was written before our current digital marketing, but still has relevant ideas.
- Art, Inc.
- I’m sure you have some! Let’s hear ’em.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021