My online friend Rick Wolff asked about folks who educate artists on marketing their work. He drew lots and lots of responses.
I think artists are important businesses in small towns. We have plenty of creative and interesting people who paint, sculpt, make pottery, do all kinds of traditional arts, and that’s not counting our crafts people and performing artists. So yes, arts can be a traded business just as much as manufacturing.
The first resource I’ll recommend is HandMade in America. They are focused on rural craftspeople, so you know their advice is free of urban bias.
I’ve also had a chance to look at the materials from ArtistINC, based in Kansas City. I found their business stuff to be solid and looked useful, but they mostly offer in-person workshops.
To help your rural artists market themselves, I’m passing along the resources that Rick’s friends mentioned. I’m not an artist myself, so I won’t presume to evaluate these. Find the one that feels like a good match for your creative soul.
Websites and online resources:
- Cory Huff of The Abundant Artist
- Fine Art Views
- Fabeku Fatunmise
- Art Licensing Info with Tara Reed
- Bhavani Esapathi
- Laura C. George
- Mark McGuinness, Lateral Action
- Entrepreneur the Arts
- Artists Guild of America
- Leanne Regalla at Make Creativity Pay
- Eric Rhoads
- Kelly Pratt
- “How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist” by Caroll Michels. It was written before our current digital marketing, but still has relevant ideas.
- Art, Inc.
- I’m sure you have some! Let’s hear ’em.
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022