Guest Post by Deb Brown, Webster City, Iowa, Area Chamber of Commerce
My friend Kevin told me a story. Kevin has just bought the business he’s worked in for over 15 years, located on Main Street in my small town, Webster City, Iowa. He’s renamed it Interior Spaces because he’s a decorator and he makes your interior spaces beautiful.
He had a couple come in a couple of weeks ago who looked at a couch and a chair. Kevin didn’t have what they wanted in stock, but did show him the pieces he thought would meet their needs in a catalog. He also told them who had the pieces in stock. They left.
Two weeks later they came back. They had been to a much larger store and looked at the actual couch and chair, but they came back to Kevin and ordered the pieces. He asked the husband why they didn’t buy it at the big store.
His response was “He wasn’t very nice.” Apparently the salesperson wasn’t attentive, didn’t care about helping the customer and just wasn’t very nice. Kevin, however, is. Consistently.
Customer service isn’t rocket science and it is teachable. Do you work with your staff on customer service? Are you customer friendly? We are all in some kind of business where we have to ‘sell’. Whether it’s a product or just ourselves.
A local business makeover
The Grandview Chamber of Commerce has helped a small business survive. Take the eleven minutes to watch this video – and you’ll notice that one of the things that was hurting the business was their customer service!
Deb Brown sends a weekly email newsletter on Building Possibility. You can learn more about working with Deb and sign up for her newsletter here.
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021