I’ve been thinking about how we have all we need. We don’t need to learn more, read more, acquire more. That’s why what John C. Shepard, planner from Wyoming, USA, said caught my attention:
“Implementation is my watch-word for 2014.”
That deceptively simple sentence could change everything. What if you made implementation your watch word?
You have everything you need to start implementing. You don’t need more money, more people, more research. You can start now.
Look through your favorite business authors. Pull out one book about business that really struck you as good. Maybe you have a guidebook from a course you took that was terrific, but you just didn’t follow up on it much.
Pick one. Just one thing. Because if you took one framework and really implemented all it had to teach you, you’d make an enormous difference in your business.
Maybe you want a general book on business, like The E-Myth Revisited, or something from your industry, or about one aspect of business, like Built to Sell. Maybe you know you need to work on a particular skill like accounting or online marketing.
Start now. Pick your one book. Start implementing what it says. Don’t stop because you’ve heard about some other idea. Don’t sign up for more courses or pick up more books. Keep at it. Implement.
Yes, you can read other things for fun or profit, but remember that right now, you’re working on implementing just this one.
What if it turns out that this is not the right one? Drop it and find the next best one for you.
Me? I’m going to pick The Retail Doctor’s Guide to Growing Your Business. I have a lot going on, but I want to make my retail store a much more solid business this year. What about you? Tell me about your business and what you’re going to focus on implementing. You can add it in the comments below, or if you are reading this in your email, just hit reply.
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020