Small towns are by definition a limited market. If you are depending on just your locals for all of your customers, you are limiting the growth of your business.
You may need to reach beyond the geographic limits to find enough customers to be sustainable. So think of ways you can get beyond the borders. Rethink place.
- Can you make some sales online?
- Can you load up in a trailer and go to nearby markets?
- Can you do a pop-up temporary shop in another town for a big festival?
- Can you open a second location, maybe inside another store in another town?
My friend Rob was telling me about an ice skating shop that is located with an ice rink and arena. Whenever the local hockey games at the arena are canceled, the shop loses sales. Then five months out of the year, they have almost no foot traffic to the arena, so they do almost no business. I suggested using a trailer to get mobile for holiday sales. Find a friendly parking lot to set up in, and be where the customers are.
In Webster City, Iowa, I saw a bakery/coffee shop/ice cream shop that had a single shelf of retail space filled by another local retailer. They even had a rack of books by a local author. All of these businesses together were re-thinking place.
Spend some time with those questions, and I bet you’ll come up with some creative ways to supplement your small local population and build a stronger business.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020