Travel has gone from going to SEE things to going to DO things. Next, I predict, is going to MAKE things.
— Robert Reid (@reidontravel) December 30, 2013
Here’s another travel trend that small towns can excel at: the shift to more active, even productive, tourism.
Right now, you have a chance to suck visitors in to participate and be part of your events. In a small town, it’s easy to let visitors be part of the action. Maybe they can’t ride a bull in the rodeo, but they can scoot a boot at the street dance. You can teach them to rope, too, and to make apple dumplings in a dutch oven for the dinner.
This is much easier in a small town. We’re friendly, to start out with. Our events are on a smaller scale, so we can work in visitors much more easily.
At Bradt’s Menagerie near Alva, Oklahoma, you will learn all about how pioneer farming families kept chickens and turkeys back in the 1900’s. But you’ll do it while holding a chicken in your hands and feeding sweet treats to a baby sheep. You’ll be part of the experience first, then you’ll learn. Who cares about driving somewhere just to see some farm animals? But who can resist the warmth of a real live chicken in hand?
So start including your visitors in the action. Do you already have ways for visitors to get in on the DOING and the MAKING? Tell us about it!
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022