There’s a saying in many organizations: Those who show up, go up.
It’s not that all you have to do is show up. It’s that the people who consistently make the effort to show up are the same ones who make the effort to do the work. They are the ones who read and study the new material they need to learn. They are the ones who make the phone calls, even when it’s not fun. They are the ones who treat it like a business.
And, those are the same people who move up.
The ones who skip the events are the same ones who skip reading and skip studying and skip making the calls.
Today is the 8th anniversary of this site, Small Biz Survival. For eight years, I’ve kept showing up, along with a talented group of people who have contributed many useful posts. That’s eight years of writing, editing, thinking, planning and managing the technology, even when it’s not fun. We have moved up to one of the top 20 small business blogs worldwide, but the real reward is knowing that 9,000 unique visitors each month find answers to their small town business questions right here.
If you want to become one of the people who moves up, start by showing up. Treat your business like a business.
Then, when someone asks for your secret to success, you can honestly say:
Those who show up, go up.
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021