There’s a saying in many organizations: Those who show up, go up.
It’s not that all you have to do is show up. It’s that the people who consistently make the effort to show up are the same ones who make the effort to do the work. They are the ones who read and study the new material they need to learn. They are the ones who make the phone calls, even when it’s not fun. They are the ones who treat it like a business.
And, those are the same people who move up.
The ones who skip the events are the same ones who skip reading and skip studying and skip making the calls.
Today is the 8th anniversary of this site, Small Biz Survival. For eight years, I’ve kept showing up, along with a talented group of people who have contributed many useful posts. That’s eight years of writing, editing, thinking, planning and managing the technology, even when it’s not fun. We have moved up to one of the top 20 small business blogs worldwide, but the real reward is knowing that 9,000 unique visitors each month find answers to their small town business questions right here.
If you want to become one of the people who moves up, start by showing up. Treat your business like a business.
Then, when someone asks for your secret to success, you can honestly say:
Those who show up, go up.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022