@BeckyMcCray have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?
— Micah Choquette (@meetmicah) October 19, 2013
My friend Micah Choquette @meetmicah asked me on Twitter, “Have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?”
I said that some business types seem to run in cycles. Lots of similar businesses will spring up, then competition thins them out.
Micah asked, “are certain categories of businesses prone to thinning faster than others?”
I’d guess that businesses with shorter typical life cycles, like eateries, probably will thin out faster than others.
Micah said, “My curiosity stems from an increase in the number of consignment shops popping up in my town. Doesn’t bring a lot of money.”
I recall hearing that some UK high streets suffer a glut of church-run resale shops because of tax benefits. So policy can play into it.
Micah asked, “so how does a town attract quality businesses that will help the town in the long run? What does such a biz look like?”
Now that is a great question! I said you have to grow them, and gave these two suggestions:
- Lower the barrier of entry so more things get tried.
- Network entrepreneurs together for support and ideas.
How about your town? Are you stuck with a glut of too-similar me-too businesses that don’t add much value?
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022