@BeckyMcCray have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?
— Micah Choquette (@meetmicah) October 19, 2013
My friend Micah Choquette @meetmicah asked me on Twitter, “Have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?”
I said that some business types seem to run in cycles. Lots of similar businesses will spring up, then competition thins them out.
Micah asked, “are certain categories of businesses prone to thinning faster than others?”
I’d guess that businesses with shorter typical life cycles, like eateries, probably will thin out faster than others.
Micah said, “My curiosity stems from an increase in the number of consignment shops popping up in my town. Doesn’t bring a lot of money.”
I recall hearing that some UK high streets suffer a glut of church-run resale shops because of tax benefits. So policy can play into it.
Micah asked, “so how does a town attract quality businesses that will help the town in the long run? What does such a biz look like?”
Now that is a great question! I said you have to grow them, and gave these two suggestions:
- Lower the barrier of entry so more things get tried.
- Network entrepreneurs together for support and ideas.
How about your town? Are you stuck with a glut of too-similar me-too businesses that don’t add much value?
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020