Luther Snow may have grown up in the big city, but he found his stride in small towns. His work with Asset Based Community Development for rural has been extremely influential in rural development. Currently, he lives in Decorah, Iowa.
He and I felt a connection in our approaches and a strong pull to work together. This interview is a kickoff of what we hope will be an ongoing series of conversations with other rural people.
Look: I even made cover art!
Why this podcast exists
If you’re “just a business owner” or “just” someone in a small town, you often feel like you’re the only one. Either the only one with a positive outlook or the only one who is trying to create change. The whole point of this podcast is to bring all of us together. You are not alone.
That’s why I’ve started interviewing people who share my positive view of rural. I have three more already recorded:
- Mike Knutson, an experienced rural leader now working in rural housing
- Scott Meyer, a young startup guy with such a soft spot for rural that his blog is called Digital Homesteading
- Caleb Pollard, a rural leader turned brewer with a strong sense of creating a legacy
To keep this going, I need to know who you think I should talk to. Who else shares a positive view of rural? You? A friend? Someone you know? Give me your suggestions in the comments.
I promise to get this submitted to iTunes soon for easy subscribing, but in the meantime, enjoy it freestyle. :)
Luther shares his work with North Slope Alaska villages, and how what he found could apply to most any rural area. And then we just swap stories and talk about what we’re thinking these days about small towns.
Near the end, listen for Luther to talk his way into a regular spot on the podcast. I’m going to take him up on that, and we’ll be doing more visits with Luther in the future.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021