After the rush of holiday business at our store, I decided to get everyone (all 5 of us) involved in cleaning up, fixing up and sprucing up. So I tried playing “Go For Broke.” (I remembered reading about a version of this game in Paul Hawken’s book, Growing a Business.)
I took the little cork board and covered it in money: $5 bills, $10 bills, and a few $20 bills. Then I posted an explanation:
- Find anything that needs to be fixed, cleaned or straightened
- Fix it
- Write a note with what you did
- Take the right bill for what the task was worth
I realize now that this is a bit of a small town idea. It’s based on the fact that I trusted everyone who worked here.
Once we got going, I listed a few tasks I’d noticed, like straightening up all the gift wrap supplies, dusting the silk flowers in the office, and cleaning the window frames inside and outside. (I should have done this right at first.)
How did it go? Here’s the project board mid-way through. Notice all the colored notes with completed tasks!
Everyone pitched in and did at least a couple of things. A couple of people did lots. Most times, people took less money than I might have offered for a task, and they would combine several tasks together to add up. Lots of creative ideas came up as people looked for things that needed attention. It got everyone looking around the building with fresh eyes. On each note of accomplishment, I gave some encouragement. Bigger tasks got more encouragement. When even bigger ideas came out, I added a couple of $50 bills.
My friend and coach Rob Hatch said it was a way of establishing the culture. I just thought it was fun, and it worked. As we get ready for the holidays this year, I’ll be posting a new version with all new tasks to get us in shape for the big rush to come.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022