When promoting your small town tourism, one essential element is getting your local businesses online where your visitors can find them. But most of your small town businesses either have no website, or a website they don’t maintain, or a website that isn’t mobile-friendly. Rather than fight with all the local businesses about getting and updating a modern website, there is one place to focus your efforts for the most results:
Start with Google Places pages.
3 reasons to start with Google Places pages:
1. Your bricks and mortar businesses already have a Places Page, based off their phone records. It’s easy for businesses to add more details where they’ll reach the most potential visitors.
2. Most of your mobile visitors are already looking at Google Places pages on their smart phones and tablets. On any device, a Google search from the browser returns Google Places in the results. Android phones Maps searches also return Google Places pages.
3. Every Google search on a desktop for a local business returns Google Places results.
Now what you need is a simple step-by-step guide your businesses can use to improve their Google Places listing. I’ve got one for you. It’s a draft. So if you have suggestions or ideas, feel free to send them to me.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021