Here’s another great small town/rural tourism idea you can steal, this one from Canada.
A two-day Taste & Tour Middlesex Conference started off with networking and local food. It’s important to do the fun stuff first. Then they turned to learning the second day, with a traditional conference event.
“Tourism continues to be one of the fastest growing economic drivers in Ontario and as Tourism Middlesex continues to evolve and grow not only will we have a louder voice in the County but also across our region.” [Source: http://www.strathroyagedispatch.com/2013/06/11/taste-and-tour-middlesex-conference-held]
You’ll find Tourism Middlesex at www.tourmiddlesex.ca
So any local or regional group could combine the fun and learning together into an event people really do want to attend.
But instead of targeting only tourism professionals or tourism businesses, open the fun part up to more locals. Anybody! Invite them all to come out, taste, and then give them a bonus: more information about what they can see and do in their own neighborhood.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020