Remember the yoga instructor who is going to do a video for her business? She told me that once people come to one class, they usually come back. So how can she get more people to make it to the first class? By cutting down the hurdles that stand between them and the first class.
Sampling is the answer, even when what you sell is a service.
Here are some ideas we came up with:
At the county fair, have a booth with a lovely textured mat on the floor. Invite people in, have them stand on the “special” mat, and talk them through a one-minute or two-minute breathing or stretching exercise while standing there. When they finish, say, “that was yoga!” And invite them to the sample class.
Have a sample class. Tell people, “Come to our 30 minute introduction event Friday.” Call them “Try It, You’ll Like It” sessions. Make it super simple and completely easy for customers. (Michael Port, author of “Book Yourself Solid,” says to always have something to invite people to.)
Have 5 minute lunch time quickies. It’s a silly name, but people would remember. Or “5 Minute Feel Good” sessions. That cuts down the initial commitment even further. Speaking of initial commitment…
Make a video that shows the prerequisites, or what gear you need. She said people always ask if tennis shoes are ok. So make the video that answers those “what do I bring?” questions.
Your own services
How can you start offering samples of your services?
How can you cut down on the initial commitment so people can take that first step?
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020