My neighbors in Ponca City, Oklahoma, have a famous local barbecue sauce, Head Country. This is the kind of thing that lots of economic development and tourism agencies have long given out in full size bottles to special guests and at booths at travel shows, etc.
The problem is, how they heck do people get this stuff home? If they’re driving, they have to find a good way to pack it without breaking the glass bottle. If they’re flying, they have to carefully pack it in a checked bag (and maybe pay to check that bag), or leave it behind. That’s not making a good impression.
A few years ago, Ponca City do-er Kat Long decided to champion the idea of small sample-size bottles, airline friendly, and unbreakable. Then they could hand out more samples and more people could actually get home with them. Last time I ran into Kat, she proudly handed me a 3 oz bottle of genuine Head Country sauce with labels on the back and on the lid promoting Ponca City’s economic development projects. A tasty idea finally made a reality. Go, Ponca!
And if you’ll be in Ponca City on May 8, 2013, I’ll be speaking about growing your small business. Here’s a flyer for the Small Business Week event (PDF) put together by Kat and some other Ponca City get-things-done folks.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022