My neighbors in Ponca City, Oklahoma, have a famous local barbecue sauce, Head Country. This is the kind of thing that lots of economic development and tourism agencies have long given out in full size bottles to special guests and at booths at travel shows, etc.
The problem is, how they heck do people get this stuff home? If they’re driving, they have to find a good way to pack it without breaking the glass bottle. If they’re flying, they have to carefully pack it in a checked bag (and maybe pay to check that bag), or leave it behind. That’s not making a good impression.
A few years ago, Ponca City do-er Kat Long decided to champion the idea of small sample-size bottles, airline friendly, and unbreakable. Then they could hand out more samples and more people could actually get home with them. Last time I ran into Kat, she proudly handed me a 3 oz bottle of genuine Head Country sauce with labels on the back and on the lid promoting Ponca City’s economic development projects. A tasty idea finally made a reality. Go, Ponca!
And if you’ll be in Ponca City on May 8, 2013, I’ll be speaking about growing your small business. Here’s a flyer for the Small Business Week event (PDF) put together by Kat and some other Ponca City get-things-done folks.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021