I’ve restarted my weekly email newsletter, and I thought you might want to join in.
It comes out on Thursdays, different from the articles we post here. It’s a positive view of our rural future, and more about connecting us.
Here’s a taste of what went out last week:
I had one of those “I’ve had enough” moments. And that made it crystal clear what I want to talk with you about.
The trigger was another email lamenting the sad state of rural communities. I get quite a few emails from rural advocacy and action groups. They do great work on a variety of rural subjects, but going by their emails, it seems like they focus on the problems of rural, on our shortcomings. I understand that it’s their job to see the negatives and address them.
Whose job is it to share a positive view of rural?
I’ve decided it’s my job. Maybe it’s your job, too.
I know that we have a future. Despite all the urban bias in the world, small towns have a future. Whether anyone else remembers it or not, rural people are necessary to the wider world.
- We’re necessary for food and agriculture.
- We’re necessary for natural resources.
- We’re necessary for environmental conservation and recreation.
Sounds like we’re pretty necessary!
So that’s what we’re going to talk about in this email, each week. A positive story from a small town, a project that is worth getting excited about, or a quote that has got me thinking.
The world just might as well get used to us. Because small towns are here to stay.
You’ll get the Small Biz Survival articles that you see on this site and you’ll get A Positive View of Rural, our weekly newsletter with practical steps to shape the future of your town and info about products and services to help you and your town. The Positive View of Rural articles never appear on this site. The only way to get them is via email.
I will not ever sell or rent your email address to anyone else, because I wouldn’t like that either.
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021