Kenda Morrison is back living in the small town. The move back has brought back an old frustration for her. Service businesses that cater to residents but not tourists seem to get overlooked by the chamber of commerce, etc.
“All too often I see them floundering in the Tourism environment and a complete lack of attention and training on how to market within the sea of tourism activities,” Kenda said.
|Does your chamber of
commerce reach out to local
service businesses that don’t
These are the kinds of businesses you need in your town, to support the quality of life of your residents. Your mechanic, accountant, and hair cutter all fall into this category.
Because the Chamber and any other business groups in tourism towns are usually focused on promoting tourism, local service business may tend to stay away from them. So where do they find any help? Good question!
My first thought is that local service businesses can and should band together in a business group of their own. This group can focus on the needs of local businesses, provide education and programs they want, and support their interests as a group. Neighboring towns could even work together, in order to get enough local businesses to make a sustainable group.
What about your experience? Have you seen a tourism town doing something smart to support necessary local services?
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021