Kenda Morrison is back living in the small town. The move back has brought back an old frustration for her. Service businesses that cater to residents but not tourists seem to get overlooked by the chamber of commerce, etc.
“All too often I see them floundering in the Tourism environment and a complete lack of attention and training on how to market within the sea of tourism activities,” Kenda said.
|Does your chamber of
commerce reach out to local
service businesses that don’t
These are the kinds of businesses you need in your town, to support the quality of life of your residents. Your mechanic, accountant, and hair cutter all fall into this category.
Because the Chamber and any other business groups in tourism towns are usually focused on promoting tourism, local service business may tend to stay away from them. So where do they find any help? Good question!
My first thought is that local service businesses can and should band together in a business group of their own. This group can focus on the needs of local businesses, provide education and programs they want, and support their interests as a group. Neighboring towns could even work together, in order to get enough local businesses to make a sustainable group.
What about your experience? Have you seen a tourism town doing something smart to support necessary local services?
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020