The beginning of the year is a good time to protect all your important business data before something changes and you lose it. Here are five places you’ve probably forgotten to look to backup that data.
1. Save PDF versions of year-end accounting reports
Accounting systems change, and data can be lost. In over 20 years with computers, I can’t even count how many different accounting systems I’ve used. To keep from losing key data permanently, you need data you can read no matter what system you use. That can be a paper print out that you store in a secure location or it can be a PDF readable even after you change software systems. Now most programs can print to PDF, making this easier than ever. Here are the reports to save:
- Profit and Loss, Jan 1 – Dec 31
- Balance Sheet, dated Dec 31
- Detail of every transaction, Jan 1 – Dec 31
- Payroll tax details for each employee, Jan 1 – Dec 31
2. Download online banking statements
If you use PayPal or online banking for business, make sure you have downloaded a PDF copy of all transactions for the year. Many online banking systems only keep records for a limited amount of time. For one of my banks, it’s just one year. After that, you can’t access older records online. PayPal also limits the amount of time you can access detailed records. Protect yourself now by downloading those statements.
3. Backup online documents
Using Google Docs is convenient. Evernote is terrific at remembering everything I can’t remember. Cloud services are wonderful, until they don’t work. Take time right now to export and save a copy of all important documents in your cloud services.
4. Search USB drives
Thumb drives are ubiquitous now. Chances are, you’ve used one to save important files or photos you’ve forgotten about. Take time now to search for those lost gems and get them backed up.
5. Backup your computer
Surely no one would overlook backing up their computer, would they? Well, yes. How long has it been since you backed up your key documents from your desktop or laptop? With online backup solutions and portable hard drives under $100, you’re running out of excuses.
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021