Since our book Small Town Rules was released by Que Publishing this spring, Barry Moltz and I have been sharing lots of videos, interviews, and guest posts all over the web. So I’m offering this series to share some of these ideas here. Even if you aren’t interested in the book itself, you can learn something from the principles we’ll be sharing.
In order to survive the economic turmoil that wheat farmers face, they have to plan for the long term. They have to plan for years when the entire crop will yield zero. They to plan for years when they may be rained out or hailed out. They have to plan for years that may be bumper crop and a great income.
In order to survive they’ve had to learn to plan long term, to plant multiple crops to spread the risk, and to adapt to the natural seasons. Seasons determine when it’s time to plant, when it’s time to reap.
These are lessons that are central to small towns, but are kind of lost in big city business today. We’d like to re-introduce you to some of these lessons. Any business can plan for zero and manage multiple line of income. Given the uncertain economy we all have to face, the changes in technology and the shifts in society, these rules are back. These rules have great application in today’s business world.
If this makes sense to you, you might like a sample from Small Town Rules.
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020