Speakers from 20 states are converging on Kansas November 8, 2012, for a conversation about how high tech thrives outside Silicon Valley and all the usual big cities. It’s the Small Town State of NOW, which we used to call the 140 Conference.
|Contributor Jon Swanson and I will share a
panel on true friendship this year.
This is not just a Kansas event. It’s not a local event. It’s an international event that happens to be held in Kansas.
And it’s the only international “high tech” event to talk small towns and go to a small town to do it.
This marks the third time we’ve held this event. It promises to be the best one yet. I realize I’m biased because Jeff and I created it together, but I’m serious.
Here’s an overview of the first 140 Conference from Oklahoma Horizon TV. (Don’t see the video? Click through to Small Biz Survival.)
What makes this event special?
When people from different backgrounds get together, they can share ideas across boundaries. Here are a few of our confirmed speakers for this year:
- Nick Barron @nbarron, Washington, DC, Incubating Tomorrow’s Great Minds
- Aliza Sherman @alizasherman, Tok, Alaska, Empowering others with tech
- Simon Salt @incslinger, Fort Worth, Texas, The Starving Artist
- Greg Peterson @gregpeterson33, Assaria, Kansas, I’m farming and I grow it
- Doug Mitchell @nextgenradio, Rockville, Maryland, Creating Multiculturalism in Small Town America
- Jason Kintzler @JasonKintzler, Wyoming, Pearl snaps and web apps in a land where cowboys are kings.
See the whole speaker list at State of NOW.
If you’re interested in what goes on in the high tech world outside the metropolis, join the conversation.
- Student passes are only $14
- Adults can use “friendofST12” for a serious discount
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020