Since our book Small Town Rules was released by Que Publishing this spring, Barry Moltz and I have been sharing lots of videos, interviews, and guest posts all over the web on the ideas in it. Because I’m so close to this subject, I forget that you haven’t seen much of it here. I finally realized I needed to do a better job of sharing all these when my friend Scott Townsend suggested I do videos. (I was like, hey, I did a bunch of videos!) So I’m starting a new series to share them here. Even if you aren’t interested in the book itself, you can learn something from the principles we’ll be sharing.
First up, this introduction to Small Town Rules. I share the changes that are reshaping all our business environment.
The fundamental shifts in the economy, in technology and society make your business environment more like a small town, no matter where you are based.
Because the economy is so much tighter and unpredictable, small businesses need to know and follow the economic survival rules, like planning for zero, spending brainpower before dollars, and diversifying their lines of income.
Since technology has spelled the end of geographic advantage, small businesses face customers who talk to each other across state lines as easily as across town. Technology also means small businesses can work anywhere and anywhen, choosing where they want to be based.
And then there is the change in society. Today, our customers are far more likely to trust a small firm than a large one, and to care about their local economy over the concerns of national brands.
All that together, means that every business is operating in an environment a lot more like a small town. That’s why we’re sharing the small town rules that can help your business succeed in this environment. And if you’re based in a small town, this will reinforce the best of what works in small towns.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020