Since our book Small Town Rules was released by Que Publishing this spring, Barry Moltz and I have been sharing lots of videos, interviews, and guest posts all over the web on the ideas in it. Because I’m so close to this subject, I forget that you haven’t seen much of it here. I finally realized I needed to do a better job of sharing all these when my friend Scott Townsend suggested I do videos. (I was like, hey, I did a bunch of videos!) So I’m starting a new series to share them here. Even if you aren’t interested in the book itself, you can learn something from the principles we’ll be sharing.
First up, this introduction to Small Town Rules. I share the changes that are reshaping all our business environment.
The fundamental shifts in the economy, in technology and society make your business environment more like a small town, no matter where you are based.
Because the economy is so much tighter and unpredictable, small businesses need to know and follow the economic survival rules, like planning for zero, spending brainpower before dollars, and diversifying their lines of income.
Since technology has spelled the end of geographic advantage, small businesses face customers who talk to each other across state lines as easily as across town. Technology also means small businesses can work anywhere and anywhen, choosing where they want to be based.
And then there is the change in society. Today, our customers are far more likely to trust a small firm than a large one, and to care about their local economy over the concerns of national brands.
All that together, means that every business is operating in an environment a lot more like a small town. That’s why we’re sharing the small town rules that can help your business succeed in this environment. And if you’re based in a small town, this will reinforce the best of what works in small towns.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022