In a small town, you might think everyone already knows about your business or your well-known tourism attraction. You might think you don’t need a website at all, or that it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a mobile-friendly website.
You’d be wrong. You have new residents, people who have never needed your service before, visitors, and tourists. They don’t know about you, and they are highly likely to search for you using their phone.
- During 2011, mobile access to the Internet doubled.
- 61% of smartphone users search for local information on the go.
And I’m willing to bet that your website isn’t ready for this, because analysis conducted by BIA/Kelsey said that:
- “93.3% of SMB websites are not mobile-compatible and will not render successfully on mobile devices or smartphones.”
What’s the easiest way to get a mobile friendly website for a small town business? Build your site using a tool that is mobile-friendly.
Two Do-It-Yourself Choices
My liquor store site is built on Blogger, and it is automatically mobile friendly. Posterous Spaces is also easy to use and automatically is mobile friendly. You can build your own site without additional technical help on these services.
One With-Help Choice
If you are ready to pay for website support, you can use WordPress. It’s very powerful, and can be customized to be mobile friendly. However, for the majority of small business owners in small towns, it’s too much to take on alone.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020