Picking the right niche for your business is a large task. I hear from many small business people who have several different targets, but can’t pick one to be their niche. This seems to be especially true for freelancers, consultants, and other independent business folks.
|Time to pick a direction.|
If you have trouble deciding on a single niche, here’s my advice:
Spend one month focused on one of your possible niches.
Pick your favorite target, and decide to spend one full month focused on them. Find those folks, connect with them online and offline, find out as much as you can about what they need, and how you can work together.
At the end of the month, you’ll know a lot more about that niche. Do you love it? Is it the one you want to spend most of your time on? If not, move on. Take your second favorite niche, and spend a month focused on them.
At the very least, you’ll learn a lot more about your potential niches. You’ll better connect with them.
More likely, you’ll learn that some of your potential niches are not a great fit. Drop them from your business. Refocus on the more promising ones.
What’s the best outcome? You’ll find your best niche. Or at least, you best niche for now.
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022