Another lesson I learned from my time as a Mary Kay consultant.
A new Mary Kay consultant was sitting next to a more experienced director next to a fireplace.
Keep your fire alive. Photo by Becky McCray
The new consultant asked, “Why should I waste one night each week going to success meetings? I could be using that night to hold a class and make more sales!”
The experienced director said nothing. She picked up the fireplace tongs and carefully pulled out a glowing red-hot coal from the grate. She set it on the bricks in front of the fireplace. Separated from the heat of the fire, the glow faded, and the ember quickly cooled.
“Ah, I see,” the new consultant said.
Of course, this lesson could apply in any business, but I think it’s particularly telling for people who work independently. Let’s look at what happens at a typical Mary Kay unit weekly success meeting:
- Results are tabulated and rewards are given, with public recognition.
- Goals are set for short term and long term.
- New information is shared about business management and about product.
- People get together and socialize.
- Fun is encouraged.
Few independent business people have such a powerful weekly session. Your challenge is to find ways to get all of those benefits on a regular basis. Look for meetings and events locally that provide some of the elements. You could put together a group that meets online to provide most of the rest. But watch out for the people with the wrong attitude. Spending time with negative thinkers is like throwing your glowing ember into a pail of cold water.
- When things go wrong, this is the secret way to keep customers happy - August 13, 2018
- From kids with summer jobs to kids with summer businesses with these small town business ideas - August 6, 2018
- Finding the money to renovate an old building in a small town: grants, loans and other funds - July 30, 2018
- Rural tourism trend: digital detox and off-the-grid vacations - July 23, 2018
- How will autonomous vehicles work in small towns? - July 16, 2018
- A small town apprenticeship - July 9, 2018
- Time management: knowing what NOT to do - July 2, 2018
- 3 Types of Income Producing Activities: discovering, nurturing, delivering - June 25, 2018
- The easiest way to podcast is from your phone - June 18, 2018
- Dress up empty buildings with these creative window ideas - June 11, 2018