Thanks to Tim Marema and an email from the National Rural Assembly, I took a quick look at today’s announcement by The White House “that it is creating a Rural Council to help the administration better coordinate the impact of federal programs in rural areas.”
|Obama, center, and Vilsack, right,
and Morgan Hoenig, left,
touring an organic farm in 2010.
(Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
I’m pleased to see that rural smart guy Tom Vilsack (Secretary of Ag) will chair the council, and that all Cabinet departments will be represented.
Their first focus? Job creation and economic development. This morning, the group discussed availability of capital as a necessary first step to creating jobs in small towns and rural areas. Renewable energy was singled out as a sector with a lot of promise for rural areas, as well as a lot of competition.
The other issues listed in the AP announcement included education, transportation, health care, Internet access, agriculture, credit, innovation, conservation and regional economies.
“Many of you have worked long and hard to raise the awareness of rural issues within the Obama administration. We assume that the Rural Council is one response,” Marema said. “So, now that you have their attention, what do you think are the most pressing inter-agency issues the federal government should address first in rural America?”
Add your thoughts on the Daily Yonder Facebook page.
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021