[My friend Gayle Machetta from Henryetta, Oklahoma, sent me the story of how one local merchant has created a sales event that packs hundreds of people into their downtown twice a year. –Becky]
|Burnett Furniture getting ready for the big sale.
Photo by Gayle Machetta.
Sending you an invite to come to Henryetta and see what happens on our Main St. two times a year. Our large home-town family owned furniture store (Burnett’s) does a blow-out sale in April and November every year where the manufacturer’s representatives actually attend and serve as sales staff on the showroom floor because there are literally hundreds of people who come to the 3-hour sale. They line up outside the doors of the store for an hour before the doors open. The dealer will close down this evening and cardboard up the windows until the night of the sale in order to re-price everything in the store.
The other merchants in the same block figured out awhile ago that this was a captive market for those few hours. The Men’s store next door stays open (Bob’s Clothiers) and does a tremendous business. The Flower/Gift shop and Jewelry store (Rheba’s and Cave’s) also stay open until about 8 and do a good trade. The Burnett Hardware Store and Burnett Gift Store in the next block participate in the sale and the hardware store also has manufacturer’s representatives on hand to do special orders on lawn tractors, chippers, tillers. This year, there was even a church youth group that set up a Hamburger cookout to raise money for their Relay for Life team and they made several hundred dollars in a couple of hours on the light crowd.
It’s a real phenomenon. Reminds me of when our Main Street was bustling like that every weekend and during the holiday season.
- Shipping container businesses downtown: don’t make this big mistake - September 24, 2018
- Easy economic development tip: Write down all new businesses in your small town - September 17, 2018
- Commerce builds communties - September 10, 2018
- Quick insights into local tourism trends - September 3, 2018
- US small businesses can get small loans through Kiva - August 27, 2018
- Want to sell more in the evenings? Use this easy promotion - August 20, 2018
- When things go wrong, this is the secret way to keep customers happy - August 13, 2018
- From kids with summer jobs to kids with summer businesses with these small town business ideas - August 6, 2018
- Finding the money to renovate an old building in a small town: grants, loans and other funds - July 30, 2018
- Rural tourism trend: digital detox and off-the-grid vacations - July 23, 2018