If you do much work on local tourism, you know that you get asked for basic information and photos over and over. If you’re like most of us, you have to search through folder after folder of photos, or dig for descriptions you wrote up last year.
Time to create your Secret Weapon for dealing with these requests.
Start filling it with photos.
Put in reusable photos from attractions, events, people, activities. Include the details in the file name or file properties.
Every time you upload photos, pick the few great ones to add to the Secret Weapon.
Throw in descriptions.
Make text files or documents with commonly used descriptions including websites, physical addresses, driving directions, etc.
If you have to type it once for something, send a copy to the Secret Weapon.
When you write something with just the right words, or you see the best description ever on a local attraction’s site, put a copy (with proper attribution) in your Secret Weapon. Even if you don’t use those exact words again, you can call on them for inspiration.
Remember that great blog post by the travel writer who visited your big festival? Well, let’s get a bookmark in the Secret Weapon. Add the bookmarks to news articles. Include the text of those posts and articles along with the bookmark. (You can do that as a note in Evernote, or as a document.)
Important: always, always, always cite the source if you use a quote from other authors in your future work.
When you get that next request for info, just smile and open up your Secret Weapon.
Hey, I know this sounds basic, but how many of you actually do it?
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020