One of the milestones of small business is your first office space. But how do you know when the time is right? And where do you find space that works for a small business?
|My favorite “home office” on safari|
Know your plan
Jeffrey A. Landers divides home-office businesses into two group, with two distinct solutions:
- If you want to grow a big business, move out of the home office as soon as possible
- If you want to stay one person scale, keep the home office and find a supporting space.
I received a review copy of his book, The Home Office from Hell Cure, where he explains more and offers a quiz. If you’re struggling with home office problems, it’s well worth checking out.
You aren’t limited to finding one stand-alone space that’s perfect for your business. There are lots more options available.
- Rent your own space
- Rent a smaller space inside another business
- Look at business incubators
- Check into shared spaces and coworking
Mike Samson, co-founder of crowdSPRING, said they partnered with a design development firm, and the deal included a tiny amount of office space. This worked for them for nine months.
Samson said there is a big difference between working at home, and working with other people who have ideas, connections, networks, and can invite you to events. So if you are looking to grow a larger scale business, there are definite benefits to getting an office space near other people.
In small towns, the best bets are renting space inside another business and business incubators. I’m seeing incubators springing up in some really small towns!
If you aren’t looking to grow the next big startup, you may only need an occasional conference room or working space. Once again, you have some options.
- Shared office spaces and coworking spaces give you access to conference rooms, meeting spaces, and a place to get a group together to work.
- Incubators may offer occasional-use conference rooms.
In small towns, you might find support spaces in incubators or educational institutions.
What innovative small-town office arrangements have you seen?
- Shipping container businesses downtown: don’t make this big mistake - September 24, 2018
- Easy economic development tip: Write down all new businesses in your small town - September 17, 2018
- Commerce builds communties - September 10, 2018
- Quick insights into local tourism trends - September 3, 2018
- US small businesses can get small loans through Kiva - August 27, 2018
- Want to sell more in the evenings? Use this easy promotion - August 20, 2018
- When things go wrong, this is the secret way to keep customers happy - August 13, 2018
- From kids with summer jobs to kids with summer businesses with these small town business ideas - August 6, 2018
- Finding the money to renovate an old building in a small town: grants, loans and other funds - July 30, 2018
- Rural tourism trend: digital detox and off-the-grid vacations - July 23, 2018