The past couple of weeks, we’ve been talking about how to get the money to attend those important conferences. Now, let’s talk about how to make the most of those conferences. Let’s start with preparation before the event.
It’s all about planning. You need to know the five W’s of your conference before you ever go.
|Mark Williams and Bryan Person
at SXSW 2010
- Who do you want to meet? Think customers, partners, competitors, mentors, and vendors.
- Who could you cooperate with?
- Who could send you customers? Who could you send customers for an affiliate offer?
- Who have you talked to several times, and you just need to push it over the edge and get something going with them?
- What do you want to talk to these people about?
- What project are you working on that is too big for you alone?
- What are you wanting to learn? What sessions should you make time for?
- Set meetings up before you go.
- Are there sessions you don’t want to miss? Invite a friend to meet you at a particular session that relates to a project you’re working on.
- Make an index card of your goals for the event.
A couple of other points
- Order some business cards, if you’re in a business card kind of industry. I still use a few (about a dozen) at most big conferences.
- Post something relevant on your blog.
- Post a recent photo of yourself on your blog or Twitter profile. Yes, you. Just do it.
What before-the-conference tips do you have?
Next in the series: make the most of your time at a conference.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020