The past couple of weeks, we’ve been talking about how to get the money to attend those important conferences. Now, let’s talk about how to make the most of those conferences. Let’s start with preparation before the event.
It’s all about planning. You need to know the five W’s of your conference before you ever go.
|Mark Williams and Bryan Person
at SXSW 2010
- Who do you want to meet? Think customers, partners, competitors, mentors, and vendors.
- Who could you cooperate with?
- Who could send you customers? Who could you send customers for an affiliate offer?
- Who have you talked to several times, and you just need to push it over the edge and get something going with them?
- What do you want to talk to these people about?
- What project are you working on that is too big for you alone?
- What are you wanting to learn? What sessions should you make time for?
- Set meetings up before you go.
- Are there sessions you don’t want to miss? Invite a friend to meet you at a particular session that relates to a project you’re working on.
- Make an index card of your goals for the event.
A couple of other points
- Order some business cards, if you’re in a business card kind of industry. I still use a few (about a dozen) at most big conferences.
- Post something relevant on your blog.
- Post a recent photo of yourself on your blog or Twitter profile. Yes, you. Just do it.
What before-the-conference tips do you have?
Next in the series: make the most of your time at a conference.
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021