My friend Cort Anderson has offered us this gift, some of what he is hearing in an agritourism workshop. The lessons are certainly useful for all types of tourism related business.
Today was the first day of Agritourism: Your Next Cash Crop? a five day workshop put on by the Kansas Dept. of Commerce and Sunflower RC&D at Pratt Community College.
Two things stuck out from today’s session taught by Jan Jantzen. The first were the four things that visitors are looking for in agritourism and the second is the four types of visitors.
According to Jantzen visitors are looking for an authentic experience they can participate in and learn from. The key words are experience, participate, learn and authentic. These are things they can’t get from other types of recreation. They also use these experiences to strengthen relationships.
The other thing we learned were the four main types of agritourism visitors. Younger seniors, age 55-65, who have a lot of disposable cash. Baby Boomers who are looking to catch up on lost time spent working. Families are the third group. The last group are grandparents with grandkids making up for time they didn’t spend with their children.
The idea is to pick one possibly two of these groups and tailor your experience and marketing specifically for them.
Cort Anderson is a photographer and software trainer working on developing a photography tour business in rural areas.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020