My friend Cort Anderson has offered us this gift, some of what he is hearing in an agritourism workshop. The lessons are certainly useful for all types of tourism related business.
Today was the first day of Agritourism: Your Next Cash Crop? a five day workshop put on by the Kansas Dept. of Commerce and Sunflower RC&D at Pratt Community College.
Two things stuck out from today’s session taught by Jan Jantzen. The first were the four things that visitors are looking for in agritourism and the second is the four types of visitors.
According to Jantzen visitors are looking for an authentic experience they can participate in and learn from. The key words are experience, participate, learn and authentic. These are things they can’t get from other types of recreation. They also use these experiences to strengthen relationships.
The other thing we learned were the four main types of agritourism visitors. Younger seniors, age 55-65, who have a lot of disposable cash. Baby Boomers who are looking to catch up on lost time spent working. Families are the third group. The last group are grandparents with grandkids making up for time they didn’t spend with their children.
The idea is to pick one possibly two of these groups and tailor your experience and marketing specifically for them.
Cort Anderson is a photographer and software trainer working on developing a photography tour business in rural areas.
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022