Looking to grow your own local entrepreneurs? See if you can take some inspiration from these entrepreneur contests.
First, Lewiston-Auburn, Maine, with Launch L-A.
They are targeting young entrepreneurs with a prior connection to their county, but currently living elsewhere.
Does your idea have wings? If you’re a young entrepreneur just itching to launch your business idea, and you have roots in Lewiston-Auburn, Maine, we want to hear from you! That idea that’s been percolating for weeks, months, or years could be worth more than $100,000! There are a few catches, of course: you have to be willing to locate that business in Lewiston-Auburn, Maine’s second largest community. This community has come a long way since you knew it five or ten years ago, and we want the world to know we’re throwing the doors wide open to young, creative entrepreneurs like you.
Besides the cash, winners agree to participate in a mentoring program. (Surely you have some local experienced business people who would make excellent mentors?)
And about that cash, don’t feel like your town or county has to offer a huge cash prize. Think about smaller amounts, in-kind services, and even free working space.
Second, CrowdPitch, a series put on by Funding Universe.
Think ´American Idol´ or ´shark tank´ — selected entrepreneurs will have 4 minutes to pitch their company to both a panel of experts & a live audience, followed immediately by a 3-minute Q&A session with the audience. Finally, we unleash the panel of experts to offer up constructive feedback.
The winner gets $5,800 of services from our sponsors:NOWAdvisors: 12 hours financial & accounting services, $1,800 valueFundingUniverse: startup services, $2,500 valueAmazon: web services, $500 valueCLI Law: legal services, $1,000 value
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020