Our friend Des Walsh from Australia sent me a great email, that I just had to share with all of you.
You might not have known but we had a Federal election here on Saturday. The outcome hangs in the balance (although I don’t think there are any hanging chads), with the likelihood of a hung Parliament – current Labor gov 73 seats, current opposition conservative coalition 73, give or take one or two, and the balance of power in the hands of three independents from rural or regional (ie not big city) electorates. One of them at least is from Central Casting as the rural eccentric, cowboy hat and all – Bob Katter. But crazy like a fox. (video)
A single-minded representative. A couple of pundits have said that Bob (member for the electorate of Kennedy) has 3 issues – Kennedy, Kennedy, and Kennedy.
The electorate of Kennedy is one third of the land mass of the State of Queensland and covers some 357,784 square miles.
The three independents have suddenly acquired a whole bunch of powerful friends who wouldn’t have given them the time of day last week.
In the election campaign the gov said they’d spend $43 billion on the new National Broadband Network (fiber all over this big country) and the Opposition said they’d do a $6 billion job and leave it to the private sector to sort out the details – wireless, satellite, yada yada yada. Lots of ignorance and fibs on both sides.
So guess what one of the key issues and thus bargaining chips is for the three blokes from the bush? Broadband!
Should be interesting.
Read more of the story in The Australian.
Business mentor coach & social media strategist
Manager, PitchEngine Australia & New Zealand
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020