|Onshore Technologies office|
CNN Money published a feature on rural sourcing, “Forget India, outsource to Arkansas.”
Dubbed “ruralsourcing,” “rural outsourcing” and “onshoring,” the practice relies on two simple premises: Smaller towns need jobs, and they offer a cheaper cost of living than urban centers. So businesses that outsource work to these areas can expect to pay less — rates are often as much as 25% to 50% lower — than if they were hiring urbanites with comparable skills.
Three companies were mentioned in the recent coverage: Rural Sourcing, Inc., Cross USA, and Onshore Technology. Their websites offer some resources that could be relevant to any small town business or economic development group exploring this type project.
- Cross USA has several white papers on rural sourcing on their news page.
- Cross USA’s John Beesley has a LinkedIn group for Alternatives to Off-Shore.
- Rural Sourcing, Inc., offers a presentation (in PDF), though it would be better with some context or speaker’s notes.
- Onshore Technology keeps up a running discussion of onshoring news on their Facebook page. (which is also where I got the photo for this post.)
Local economic developers: consider how you can leverage your state and national contacts to help your local businesses reach those larger markets.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020