|Onshore Technologies office|
CNN Money published a feature on rural sourcing, “Forget India, outsource to Arkansas.”
Dubbed “ruralsourcing,” “rural outsourcing” and “onshoring,” the practice relies on two simple premises: Smaller towns need jobs, and they offer a cheaper cost of living than urban centers. So businesses that outsource work to these areas can expect to pay less — rates are often as much as 25% to 50% lower — than if they were hiring urbanites with comparable skills.
Three companies were mentioned in the recent coverage: Rural Sourcing, Inc., Cross USA, and Onshore Technology. Their websites offer some resources that could be relevant to any small town business or economic development group exploring this type project.
- Cross USA has several white papers on rural sourcing on their news page.
- Cross USA’s John Beesley has a LinkedIn group for Alternatives to Off-Shore.
- Rural Sourcing, Inc., offers a presentation (in PDF), though it would be better with some context or speaker’s notes.
- Onshore Technology keeps up a running discussion of onshoring news on their Facebook page. (which is also where I got the photo for this post.)
Local economic developers: consider how you can leverage your state and national contacts to help your local businesses reach those larger markets.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020