Sheila Scarborough and I were happy to connect with Australian Des Walsh to talk tourism for our Tourism Currents listeners. I thought you’d enjoy it as well.
(cc) by trib
Des attended some presentations on the Tourism Queensland project, The World’s Best Job. He joins us with some thoughts on what went right, what didn’t go as well, and how to maintain ongoing momentum.
A few choice tidbits from our conversation
- How would you like some repeat business? Makes a great opening question to small tourism operators.
- Fear of using online tools and social networks is a bit like fear of travel. You are never really safe, no matter where you are.
- It doesn’t matter who prints your brochure, but it matters who answers your phone or works the desk at your visitors center. And it matters who represents you online.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020