The Making Place Matter in Northwest Oklahoma Rural Community Economic Development Summit was held in Alva on June 3, 2010.
|Marci Penner leads a break
out session on rural tourism
An estimated 85 people attended the event in person. Over 100 more people participated online. Three event participants live tweeted during event with the hashtag #ruralok. Those participants were @beckymccray, @okiej (Jeanne Cole), and @lauragirty. Tracking the clicks on links tweeted during the event, over 100 people clicked on a single link.
Twitter users retweeting and participating in the discussion came from:
- Alberta, Canada
- Toronto, Canada
- British Columbia, Canada
- West Virginia
- New York
A PDF of the live tweets, and the list of participating states and countries, is available here: #RuralOK Tweets PDF.
Coverage of the event includes:
- Wildheart’s Web 2.0: What Can Topeka Learn from Rural Communities?
- Alva Review Courier: Economic development summit offers challenges, information to participants
- Small Biz Survival: Northwest Oklahoma population changes
- Small Biz Survival: Rural community building ideas
- Small Biz Survival: USDA is more than just ag – Keynote address by Glenda Humiston
Event co-chairs were Kay Decker and Patti Wilber from Northwestern Oklahoma State University. Speakers included representatives from USDA Rural Development, the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry, the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, the Oklahoma Main Street Center, the Kansas Sampler Foundation, USDA Agricultural Research Service, the Workforce Investment Boards of Northwest Oklahoma and North Central Oklahoma, Preservation Oklahoma, East Central University, the Oklahoma Municipal League, and the Oklahoma Association of County Commissioners. The keynote speaker was Glenda Humiston, California USDA Rural Development State Director.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022