How do you get your name out there and associated with a particular phrase? That was Jill’s question:
I was just wondering what I need to do to get my name out there. I’m a seamstress specializing in country/western style wedding attire. I google “Oklahoma seamstress” and no one pops up. How do I get it out there so that if a person needs a seamstress in Oklahoma my name pops up?
Jill aka Territory Mom
Make a list of a few of the best phrases that represent the solution you offer. You’ll use that list in the second step…
Now that you know what phrases you want to be known for, get them out there everywhere.
- Use those phrases in a natural way throughout your website.
- Start writing blog posts with those phrases.
- Get others to link to you using those phrases.
- Put them in your profiles on different services, like Twitter.
- Go multi media, and include the key phrases on sites like Flickr and YouTube.
Sometimes, you don’t realize that you are leaving out an important word. One client leads safaris in Africa. Well, we didn’t say “Africa” very often on the site, because from every picture and everything else we said, you could just tell it was in Africa! But, the search engines couldn’t just tell. We had to go back and find natural places in the text to say the word “Africa.” Watch for this type of problem in your own writing.
SEO and the Art of Getting Found
The art of getting found in search engines is called “SEO” or “search engine optimization.” I asked for basic guides to include here, and I think the best came from my friend Bhupesh Shah, @ethnicomm on Twitter. He agreed to share this presentation he created for a local small business group.
He said, “SEO seems to be a daunting task but then again so is surgery if you’re not experienced. :) “
Thank you, Bhupesh.
If you’d like to offer some suggestions for Jill, I’m sure she’d love your comments. And if you have links to other great basic SEO resources, please add them in the comments.
- When things go wrong, this is the secret way to keep customers happy - August 13, 2018
- From kids with summer jobs to kids with summer businesses with these small town business ideas - August 6, 2018
- Finding the money to renovate an old building in a small town: grants, loans and other funds - July 30, 2018
- Rural tourism trend: digital detox and off-the-grid vacations - July 23, 2018
- How will autonomous vehicles work in small towns? - July 16, 2018
- A small town apprenticeship - July 9, 2018
- Time management: knowing what NOT to do - July 2, 2018
- 3 Types of Income Producing Activities: discovering, nurturing, delivering - June 25, 2018
- The easiest way to podcast is from your phone - June 18, 2018
- Dress up empty buildings with these creative window ideas - June 11, 2018