How could your blog know everything about your business? You could tell it, as part of capturing and sharing the valuable knowledge in your small business.
Whenever your small business brings on a new person, there is a period of adjustment and training. You have to teach them what to do, how it’s done here, tricks that make things easier, traps to avoid, and all the basics. Then there are stories from the company, founding stories, people stories, and customer stories.
Your current method of capturing and sharing all this info probably works like most small businesses. You bring in a new person, show them only the bare minimum to get them started, and then work in other things as you can. None of it is formal or scheduled, so the training is hit or miss.
But what if you blogged that knowledge? You could use any blogging system (Blogger, TypePad, WordPress, Posterous) to capture and save all the training materials and stories. It’s as easy as sending an email. As for security, Blogger allows you to limit a blog to certain viewers, and I’m sure the other systems do, too.
Start on it the next time you bring in a new person. As you teach them something, also add it to your blog. Maybe even have the new person add it as a draft for you to edit and approve. It would give you an instant check on their understanding.
Use the multiple media available to you. Record stories in audio or video. Use video for how-to demonstrations. Use text for complex or lengthy information. Include lots of photos. Involve everyone on your team. Celebrate successes. Profile important customers.
Rick Mahn and I came up with this idea. What do you think? Could you make it work in your small business?
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021