[This arrived by email from the National Rural Assembly. I didn’t think I could improve on it, so I asked for permission to reprint it here, which they have kindly granted. I added photos from the White House blog. -Becky]
|President Barack Obama tours MogoOrganic
in Mt. Pleasant, Ia., with with Secretary of Agriculture
Tom Vilsack and Morgan Honnig,
April 27, 2010.
A new report from the White House Council of Economic Advisors examines the rural economy and lays out steps designed to “ensure the prosperity and vitality of rural America.” The report, released Tuesday, coincides with the president’s two-day tour of rural communities in the Midwest, which concluded Wednesday. Read a copy here-on the Rural Assembly website.
|President Barack Obama with
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack
tours the POET Biorefining Plant
in Macon, Mo., April 28, 2010.
- The Rural Innovation Initiative, a regional economic planning effort of federal, state, and local agencies, led by the Department of Agriculture.
- Promotion of “regional innovation clusters” through the Small Business Administration and the Economic Development Administration.
- Increased funding for renewable energy research, which will complement new federal investments in biofuels and wind energy production that the report says will benefit rural areas. Enforcing limits on greenhouse gas emissions will also spur renewable energy development in rural areas, the report states.
- Continued support of forest restoration, fire suppression, and other conservation programs on public and private lands.
- More than $1 billion in loans and grants for telecommunications improvements and “to help transition rural economies into the modern information economy.”
- Opening markets for agricultural exports through the administration’s National Export Initiative.
- Reforming federal agriculture supports to move support away from “the wealthiest farmers” to less affluent farmers.
- Promoting local and regional food systems.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022