[This arrived by email from the National Rural Assembly. I didn’t think I could improve on it, so I asked for permission to reprint it here, which they have kindly granted. I added photos from the White House blog. -Becky]
|President Barack Obama tours MogoOrganic
in Mt. Pleasant, Ia., with with Secretary of Agriculture
Tom Vilsack and Morgan Honnig,
April 27, 2010.
A new report from the White House Council of Economic Advisors examines the rural economy and lays out steps designed to “ensure the prosperity and vitality of rural America.” The report, released Tuesday, coincides with the president’s two-day tour of rural communities in the Midwest, which concluded Wednesday. Read a copy here-on the Rural Assembly website.
|President Barack Obama with
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack
tours the POET Biorefining Plant
in Macon, Mo., April 28, 2010.
- The Rural Innovation Initiative, a regional economic planning effort of federal, state, and local agencies, led by the Department of Agriculture.
- Promotion of “regional innovation clusters” through the Small Business Administration and the Economic Development Administration.
- Increased funding for renewable energy research, which will complement new federal investments in biofuels and wind energy production that the report says will benefit rural areas. Enforcing limits on greenhouse gas emissions will also spur renewable energy development in rural areas, the report states.
- Continued support of forest restoration, fire suppression, and other conservation programs on public and private lands.
- More than $1 billion in loans and grants for telecommunications improvements and “to help transition rural economies into the modern information economy.”
- Opening markets for agricultural exports through the administration’s National Export Initiative.
- Reforming federal agriculture supports to move support away from “the wealthiest farmers” to less affluent farmers.
- Promoting local and regional food systems.
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020